Briefly outlines the rise and decline of liberation theology from the 1960's to the present, and examines and critiques its basic theological and philosophical claims and assumptions.
- Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Instruction on Certain Aspects of the “Theology of Liberation” – Liberitas nuntius, Vatican City, 1984
- Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Instruction on Christian freedom and liberation – Libertatis conscientia, Vatican City, 1986
- Gutierrez, Gustavo, A Theology of Liberation, 15th ed., 1988
- Gutierrez, Gustavo and Cardinal Gerhard Mueller, On the Side of the Poor: The Theology of Liberation, 2015
- Novak, Michael. Will It Liberate? Questions about Liberation Theology, 1986
- Rowland, Christopher, ed. The Cambridge Companion to Liberation Theology, 2007
- Sirico, Robert. “Theologians in Search of Liberation”, Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies, 1991