Previous attendees tell us that Acton University was worth every dollar they spent. Many attendees pay their own way. For qualified applicants, funding may be available from our generous donors. If you would like to apply for financial aid, you must request it during the application process.
|Registration Fee||Service you receive, lectures you attend, conference meals||
General Registration: $800.00
Submit registration payment by May 10, 2020
|Travel Costs||Transportation to and from Grand Rapids, Michigan||Varies per attendee.||
Submit travel details by May 10, 2020
|Cost of Lodging||Nights in one of the AU hotel room blocks||
Single Occupancy: $156-181 per night
Double Occupancy: $78 per night
Submit hotel requests by May 10, 2020
*There is financial aid available for registration fees, travel, and lodging through the application process.
What does it cost to attend?
2020 General Registration Fee: $800
2020 Student Registration Fee: $550
Many Acton University attendees receive financial aid thanks to our generous donors. In turn, this aid is applied to the cost of the event, including speaker fees, meals, beverages, and evening hospitality.
When is my registration fee due?
May 10, 2020
All payments must be made on or before 11:50 PM EST on the assigned deadline. If the final payment is not received on the assigned deadline, you will lose your place at Acton University and your registration will be cancelled.
How do I pay the registration fee?
Once you are accepted to Acton University, you will see a payment link in your registration summary page. Online payment can be made via credit card or PayPal.
If you live in the U.S. and prefer to mail your payment, select the appropriate offline payment option in your registration, fill out the Offline Payment Form, and mail to the Acton Institute. We will not accept cash payments via mail.
Do you have a refund policy?
If you cancel on or before May 15, 2020, you will receive a full refund. If a cancellation occurs after May 15, 2020, no refund will be issued.
Who is eligible for the student discount for Acton University?
To qualify for the discounted student rate, a participant must be currently enrolled (part-time or full-time) at a college, seminary, or university.
Student Discount: $250
Registration Fee for Students: $550
Conference applicants may apply for financial aid to help off-set the costs to attend Acton University 2020. Qualified applicants may receive limited financial aid, based on availability. Applicants who are contributing some of their own funds are more likely to receive financial aid.
There is limited financial aid for travel expenses available to qualified applicants.
If you would like to request financial aid to travel to Grand Rapids for Acton University 2020, you will need to select the Application for Financial Aid (General or Student) option.
Financial Aid for the Registration Fee:
Fellowships and other form of financial aid are available to qualified applicants. Financial aid options may include additional requirements before or after the conference and the amount of funding may vary. Anyone requesting financial aid or who has been invited to apply for a fellowship need to choose the Application for Financial Aid (General or Student) option. Financial aid will be awarded to qualified applicants based on availability.
Who attends Acton University?
In 2019, more than 900 people attended Acton University from 80+ countries. This group included…
- Undergraduate and graduate students studying religion, theology, economics, political science, business, philosophy, and history
- Faith-based leaders from many faith traditions: pastors, priests, seminarians, church staff, and congregational lay leaders
- Nonprofit and development leaders from secular, political, governmental, and faith-based backgrounds
- Business and economic leaders, teachers, and students
- Entrepreneurs, small business leaders, and those who aspire to be
- Academics: professors, doctoral candidates, and university support staff
- Everyday citizens who want to learn more about the connection between religion, liberty, and sound economic principles
What is an Acton Alumnus?
Anyone who has attended Acton’s four core lectures is an Acton alumnus. These lectures cover the foundations of:
- Christian Anthropology
- Natural Law
- Basic Economics
- Good Governance
This includes past attendees of Acton University, Toward a Free and Virtuous Society (FAVS), City FAVS, and Liberty & Markets colloquia.
How old do you need to be to attend Acton University?
Acton University is intended for adult attendees who are 18 years old on or before June 16, 2020. Minor attendees will only be accepted if they are accompanied by a legal guardian, who is also accepted to the conference. All minor attendees must have access to a personal email, distinct from their legal guardian. There are no discounts for minors or their attending guardians.
All attendees must submit an application to attend Acton University and be approved to attend the conference. Unregistered attendees, regardless of age, are not allowed to attend or participate in the conference or related activities.
Can my spouse or family attend with me?
Spouses and family members may attend if they apply and are accepted to the conference. Acton does not guarantee the acceptance of any application. Each applicant must have a unique email address.
How do I submit a conference application?
- Click the “Apply Now” button.
- Provide your name and email address in the spaces provided. (Email is the primary method of conference communication and identification.)
- Choose the correct application type from the list.
- Follow the instructions to submit an application form.
Which “Application Type” should I choose?
General Registration ($800):
General Registration provides access to the full conference, including all lectures, all meals, networking breaks, plenary sessions, and the Acton Book Shop. General registrants are responsible for all costs associated with attending AU 2020 including lodging and travel expenses as applicable.
Student Registration ($550):
Student Registration is open to individuals who are currently enrolled (part- or full-time) at a college, seminary, or university. Student Registration provides access to the full conference, including all lectures, all meals, networking breaks, plenary sessions, and the Acton Book Shop. Student registrants are responsible for all costs associated with attending AU 2020 including lodging and travel expenses as applicable.
Application for Financial Aid (General or Student):
This application is open to anyone requesting financial aid or who has been invited to apply for a fellowship. Financial aid may be in the form of a discounted registration fee, travel assistance, or discounted lodging.
- March 1, 2020 for non-residents/citizens of the USA or Canada
- May 1, 2020 for residents/citizens of the USA or Canada
How do I modify my registration?
- Click the “My Profile” button at the bottom or the top of the AU website. (http://university.acton.org/)
- Click the small link that says “Already Registered”.
- Fill in your email address and Registration Code (found in your acceptance email) where requested and click “OK” to log in.
- Click “Modify” to access existing forms and make changes as necessary.
When I'm filling out the registration form, why can't I choose certain lectures?
First-time attendees are required to attend Acton’s core lectures, which are offered during sessions 1 through 4. If you are not an alumnus, you must attend the four core lectures.
What are the core lectures?
The four core lectures provide the framework and intellectual context for Acton University. These lectures form the foundation from which all other courses draw on. We require all first-time attendees to attend the core lectures. The titles of the core lectures are:
- Christian Vision of the Person and Society
- Natural Law and Human Flourishing
- Economic Way of Thinking
- Christian Vision of a Free Government
Where does Acton University take place?
Grand Rapids, Michigan, from June 16-19, 2020 at the DeVos Place Convention Center.
Where is the nearest airport?
Attendees travelling by plane fly into the Gerald R. Ford International Airport (GRR), which is located 13 miles (approx. 15-20 minutes) southeast of downtown Grand Rapids.
How do I submit a flight request?
To submit a flight request:
- Click the “My Profile” button on the main page of the conference website (http://university.acton.org/).
- Fill in your email address and Registration Code (found in your invitation email) where requested and click “OK” to log in.
- After you log in, click on the “Submission Confirmation” heading in the top left corner. Then click on the “My Lodging & Travel” heading beneath it. Scroll down to the Flight Request section and click the “Add Request” button.
Please note: You cannot edit the request once it has been made. A travel agent will contact you via email regarding your request.
Will there be a shuttle from the airport to my hotel?
Acton University provides complimentary shuttle service to and from the Gerald R. Ford International Airport (GRR) and the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. The shuttle will operate as follows*:
- Tuesday, June 16, 2020 – 11:00am until 6:30pm
- Saturday, June 20, 2019 – 6:00am until 12:00pm
When you arrive on Tuesday, June 16, an Acton representative will be at the baggage claim to direct you.
Acton University does not arrange for transportation to or from the airport outside of these assigned times. If, for any reason, you miss the complimentary shuttle service as outlined above, you will be responsible for your additional travel expenses. The Acton Institute is not responsible for additional costs incurred.
*This information is subject to change. Confirmed attendees will receive email confirmation from the Acton University team.
Can I travel by bus or train?
Downtown Grand Rapids has a train station and bus station. Both are located less than 2 miles (approx. 6 minutes by car) from the conference site and area hotels.
I plan to drive to Grand Rapids– is there any parking available?
Yes. You are responsible for the all parking fees. If you are staying at one of the designated hotels, you can park in the hotel lot. If you are commuting on a daily basis, the closest local parking lots are:
You can read more information about City of Grand Rapids Parking here.
What is proper attire for the conference and what should I bring?
Proper attire for AU is business casual. We also recommend that everyone bring an umbrella and light jacket/sweater.
How do I apply for a US travel visa?
Conference attendees are responsible for securing their U.S. travel visa, if applicable. Acton Institute is not responsible for fees incurred from applying for a travel visa. If you need any supplemental conference documentation, please contact the Acton University team.
What are my hotel lodging options?
Acton University has special room blocks at hotels in downtown Grand Rapids within an easy walk to DeVos Place Convention Center.
- Amway Grand Plaza Hotel
- Downtown Courtyard by Marriott Hotel
This information is subject to change.
How do I submit a hotel room request?
To submit a hotel room request:
- Click the “My Profile” button on the main page of the conference website (http://university.acton.org/).
- Fill in your email address and Registration Code (found in your invitation email) where requested and click “OK” to log in.Click on the “Submission Confirmation” heading in the top left corner. Then click on the “My Lodging & Travel” heading beneath it.
- You are now on the Hotel Reservation page. Please read through the options for our two hotels. Once you decide which hotel room you would like to reserve, click the gray “Add Request” text to the right of the hotel room option.
- Fill out the required information. Click the red “Submit” button in the bottom right corner.
Hotel requests are subject to approval and should not be considered guaranteed until confirmation is received from the Acton University team.
Will meals be provided?
Yes. The cost of meals, evening receptions, and beverages for the duration of the event are included in the conference fee for all accepted attendees.
Are you able to accommodate food related allergy/dietary restrictions?
We understand that some guests may have dietary restrictions. Please indicate your dietary requests in your conference application and we will do our best to accommodate them. We cannot guarantee requests not included in the conference application.