This lecture explains the basic religious tenets of Islam, provides some background to their development, and then illustrates how they play out in the realms of politics and culture. It also evaluates controversial Islamic concepts such as “jihad," “sharia,” or “caliphate."
- Mohammad I. Hussain, "An Introduction to Islam," EAWC *
- David Forte, "Islam's trajectory," Real Clear Politics *
- Graham Fuller, "A World Without Islam," Foreign Policy *
*(Freely available online)
- Mustafa Akyol, Islam without Extremes: A Muslim Case for Liberty, WW Norton, 2011
- Fred M. Donner, Muhammad and the Believers: At the Origins of Islam, Harvard University Press, 2010
- Karen Armstrong, Islam: A Short History, Modern Library, 2002