How can the Jewish tradition contribute to our understanding of the idea of progress? How does progress relate to the material conditions of man, and how does it relate to the Jewish idea of redemption? What is G-d’s role in history? What is the role of the human individual in history? Is history moving somewhere, and do Jews understand technology and other innovations as part of that movement?
- The Book of Genesis, Chapters 1-4.
- The Book of Deuteronomy, 4:25-31.
- The Book of Isaiah, 11:1-10.
- The Book of Jeremiah, 31:30-36.
- Robert Nisbet, “The Idea of Progress”
- Shalom Carmy, “Don’t Stop Hoping for Redemption,” Tradition, 2006.
- Meir Soloveichik, “Redemption and the Power of Man,” Azure, 2004.
- Joseph B. Soloveitchik, “The Lonely Man of Faith,” Tradition, 1965.